Women these days tend to spend a lot of time in their heads.
We have so much to do and we are trying to wear so many different hats that we end up go to our heads to try and make sense of it all and keep a handle on things, but there’s so much going on that we tend to stay there.
It’s important to be conscious of the reason we end up in our heads.
We don’t arrive there naturally; it’s the place we end up when we are coming from a place of fear, insecurity, lack or stress.
Now, call me crazy but in my experience the holiday season can often bring with it a fair share of stress.
Between buying and wrapping Christmas presents, writing cards, shopping for food, cooking more Turkey than is humanly possible to eat (unless you’re a veggie like me…in which case replace Turkey with roast potatoes), visiting family and friends, Christmas parties, the pressure of what to do New Year’s Eve…the list goes on.
In fact, here in the UK 59% of women suffer high stress levels in the week before Christmas…which is also the worst week for sleep deprivation.
Why do you need to know how to move from your head to your heart?
Generally speaking, under stress the feminine moves from heart to head and the masculine moves from heart to the genital area…which is why we respond so differently to stressful situations…the key to finding the solutions is often to figure out how to come back to the heart.
There is a place for the head, we need both head and heart to get by in life, but when the head gets into overwhelm it stops being effective and ends up caught in unproductive and often self-destructive loops that get you nowhere and drive you crazy.
But when you get into the heart the noise gets quieter, the merry-go-round stops spinning and you get to just feel.
Often when we feel into a situation we get connected back to our intuition, which will guide us in the right direction compared with our overwhelmed minds.
So today my Christmas gift to you is ten ways to quickly move from your head to your heart:
- Breathe – When we get stressed and into head space, we often find that our breathing gets shallower and faster. As our stress goes up, our heart race increases and our breathing quickens. So stopping and taking 10 deep diaphragmatic breaths will give you a moment to put the head on pause and move into the body in the direction of the heart.
- Music – We all know that music is very emotionally charged…put on the right song and you can find yourself ready to take on the world, totally chilled out or close to tears. So listen to a song that you have a strong positive emotional connection to for a instant drop from your head to your heart. A piece that reminds you of a special time, a special place, a special person…anything that puts a smile on your face and makes you want to sing is usually a good option!
- Gratitude – We all know that you cannot simultaneously experience gratitude and fear or gratitude and stress…so by focusing on what we’re grateful for will be able to drop out of our stress (and in turn the head space), and back into our heart space.
- Movement – In order to get out of your head and into your heart, one of the best routes is via your body, so any way to physically feel your body moving whether through dancing, yoga or another form of movement will definitely help.
- Focus and intention – Taking the conscious choice to move your focus from what is causing you stress to what will make you feel more connected to your heart, and setting an intention to maintain that connection sounds simple and yet can pave the way for your subconscious to follow.
- Be present to the moment – Often when we’re in our heads, we’re focusing on one of two things; the past or the future. We’re worrying about what has happened, or what is going to (or not going to). Simply focusing on the present moment, what’s happening in the here and now, in as much detail as possible is one of the fastest routes from your head to your heart.
- Get in touch with your senses – When you’re focusing on the present moment, be sure to do so with all of your senses…what can you see, what can you hear, what can you smell, taste and feel? When you start to use all of your senses more, the sensations you are experiencing will be enhanced and enriched…getting you more into your body which will pave the way from your head to your heart.
- Mentally hang up on the voice in your head – Quite often when you want to move from your head to your heart there is a little voice in your mind that keeps drawing you back again. It’s usually the voice of fear, or of insecurity, and can be your own worst enemy. One of the simplest ways to deal with this voice is to imagine that it’s on the other end of a phone. Mentally see yourself with the phone in your hand, simply saying “No thanks, I’m not interested”…and then hanging the phone up.
- Meditation – There’s not a lot to keep you in your head when all is quiet and peaceful there, so to get from your head to your heart a great starting place is to quieten the mind. Taking a small amount of time each day (it can be only 5 minutes to start with) to close your eyes, focus on nothing but your breath, and whenever a thought comes up allow it to just drift away can help you begin the shift.
- Love unconditionally – To move from your head to your heart, the quickest and simplest way is to focus on being loving. Not to get anything in return, or because you should…just because you can. …and the best place to start with this? Yourself. Remember that you are enough and love yourself just the way you are. It’s the expressway from your head to your heart. The more you can learn to come from this loving place with everyone…your intimate partner, your friends, family, colleagues, and most importantly, yourself, the less time you’ll spend in your head…and the more you’ll spend in your heart.
To be honest, anything that really brings you back to your feminine will bring you out of your head and into your heart as that’s where the feminine naturally lives.
So the question is ‘what makes YOU feel more feminine’…because if you’re FEELING feminine…you’re already in your heart.
And this is my Christmas gift to you…the ability to quickly and effortlessly move from your head to your heart, whenever you wish to.
Merry Christmas….remember to stay fabulous when moving from your head to your heart!